Crossover duct question.

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Big_Kyle

Where is the crossover duct usually located under a mobile home? My a/c isn't cooling like it normally has all of a sudden and we had a problem during the winter where it wasn't heating and it turned out the crossover duct had just came loose, the person we had come out said he put it back on and that he would come back out to secure it but never did, we never had another problem until now so I never worried to much about it. That was two months ago and our home is no longer under warranty so I don't want to call him to come back out and have him charge me an arm and a leg for something I can hopefully do myself.
Another question I wanted to see if anyone could help me with is if I would be able to see the duct or is it over by the black plastic like material under our home? I crawled underneath and all I saw was the black plastic but there were a couple metal pieces along the middle. I don't know if that's "connectors" to keep both sides together or if that's part of the duct work.
Robert

Hi,

It will connect directly under the furnace or close proximity to it, then run over to middle of other half of home and connect there.

Should be a round metal collar to connect to.

You may or may not see the collars, depends on if they extend below the belly enough.

The cross-over duct itself will be usually 10", 12" or 14" flex duct.

Best cure is to replace all of it with two 90* metal ellbows and straight 4 ft. metal sections connected together across between the ells.

You wrap the hard metal pipe with insulation with plastic vapor barrier outer cover.

Best quick cure is the two 90* ells, then the flex duct pulled tight between them and connected.

Shoot 4 sheet metal screws in the ells, one on each side. Get them started about half way.

Inside of flex duct is spiral wire, hook over heads of screws, then tighten on down on the wire to hold it.

Make sure it is up on collar as far as possible, then wrap a zip-tie around it tight and cover with foil tape.

Pull up insulation and vapor barrier, place another zip=tie around that and then about 6 wraps of foil tape.

Pull it tight with no sags to other side and repeat.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Big_Kyle

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know my results. It seems to be cooling normally today. So maybe it was just because yesterday was an exceptionally hot and humid day but I do need to fix those ducts. Thanks for the response. You guys have helped me out several times, I'm glad you guys made this forum.
Robert

You're very welcome.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?