Evcon heat pump low temp rise

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

johnske1

Hi all,

I was wondering if u could help me with a issue i'm seeing. I installed a new 15 SEER evcon heat pump in my home. I have good cooling but the heat mode is less than to b desired. I checked my pressures and low side is right on. My head is 50-75 psig lower. I have electric supplement heat (2nd stage) I cant seem to get good temp on the suction line.

I went ahead and pulled the R22 from it and did a triple evac on it. (pulled to 500 microns - pressure w/nitrogen and pulled to 500 micron again. 3 times) after this my line temp rose from 109- 120 to 150 - 165. alot better. but i'm worried that the temp rise isn't sufficent. What would a good temp rise for 5 ton system b. what other temps can i look at to b sure. ie amp draw etc. and what do u think the range for those tests should b?

kent
Robert

Hi Kent,

I give very little DIY info on heat pumps because they are a different breed and can be messed up easily.

If you feel it isn't right, your best solution would be to call a Tech for help.

Not being there to see the install makes it impossible for me to give precise info to try and correct anything wrong.

Your temp rise tests are at the coils, inside and outside.

Testing heat mode in middle of summer is related to testing cooling mode in the middle of winter.

Will not be norm or accurate.

IF cooling is ok, heat mode should be as well.

You pull a vaccuum to remove air/non-condensibles from the system.

IF those were in there, cooling mode would be abnormal as well.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?