MOISTURE BARRIER/BELLY WRAP

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

cellis

I'm not sure if this is where this question goes, but...I am trying to refinance my doublewide/land loan. It is currently in my parents name, but I have been making all the payments since we started this. My credit has taken several hits due to divorce/medical and just plain youthful stupidity. The bank it is through now will not loan to me...my mother says I should try for FHA financing. I have been working toward meeting what I understand to be their requirements-house is on concrete, axles and tongue removed, strapped down, permanent concrete stucco skirting-but am confused about 'moisture barrier'. Does anyone know if the 'bellywrap' covers this? Or do I need to completely cover the ground under my home with heavy ply plastic? The underside of my home is pitiful looking with rips in bellywrap and questionable insulation. It looks like the company we bought it from just did a spit-and-tissuepaper job once they set it up on our land. Can I just remove the bellywrap and replace the insulation? Or must I leave bellywrap in place AND put down ground plastic?
Sorry it's so long, this is just confusing to me for some reason.
Yanita

Hi,

I am a little confused as to what the finance company wants as well. The underbelly and vapor barrier on this site are 2 different things.

The underbelly is just that, the fabric that is stapled up under the home, insulation and plumbing generally between that and the subfloor. For the betterment of your home it is recommended that be in good repair. First the insulation keeps your floors warm and the insulation protects your water lines from freezing. The belly wrap should always be as well maintained as possible. Keep all tears, holes etc repaired.

The vapor/moisture barrier is generally a piece of 6 mil plastic, (color does not matter) laid on the ground covering at least 80% of the bare ground under your home. This protects the underbelly from wicking up moisture that ground evaporation causes.

I have never known a finance company to want both a concrete slab and a moisture barrier. Although not to say that it is not a requirement by them.

Now the insurance company maybe using different terms than we do on this site, meaning they might be calling the underbelly material a moisture barrier. I can see them wanting that to be in the best possible condition.

My best advice to you is to call the insurance company/finance lender and ask them specifically what they are referring to and what they want done.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
cellis

Yes, I guess when all else fails, I could just go straight to the source. My house is on runners, so maybe that's what the plastic on the ground is for..in lieu of a solid concrete pad. Thank you!!
Yanita

Hi,

Yup, with that said I think you are right. I was under the impression it was on a full slab.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
flcruising

FYI: I wouldn't think manufactured home full slabs would be much different than regular house slabs, but those would have the vapor barrier layed under the slab before the concrete pour.

Again, just an FYI.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]