Underbelly and new fill...

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Loki

I need to replace my skirting and figure while it is down I should get bellywrap and insulation replaced. (needs replaced to bad to fix) due to good west texas winds. My question is and maybe Mark can chime in...How much should I look to spend to get underbelly and insulation replaced on entire house? it is 68x28 feet 2 bath rooms kitchen and laundry room and dryer vent to tangle with as far as pipes, venting etc.
Harry

Hi Erick Owens

No replies yet so I’ll give my 2 cents.

This is an area specific issue. What works down here might not work up north and visa versa.

Around here you can’t find anyone reliable to work down under. There is one handyman who might take the job. He charges $15 and hour and he would need an assistant for $10 an hour. I estimate the job would take 40 hours (for this guy). This comes to $1,000.00 for the labor.

My wife and I replaced the compliment of half the insulation and belly wrap on our doublewide. I called out the dimensions and she cut the pieces and passed them down under. I used stainless steel staples. In places I rolled the black woven polyvinyl around a 1x2 and fastened it to the floor joists.

Each job would be different with the objects to work around. You have to work around the I beams. A lot of our homes down here have the ducts in the ceiling so they would be easier to work on than a MH with duct work down under.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi Eric,

I apologize somehow I missed your post.

As Harry was saying the replacement of insulation and underbelly material is the same but different for almost every home. Set up and layouts vary so that makes every repair slightly different.

It is really difficult to even give a ball park figure on what someone would charge to do this job. Wages and materials vary from area to area. Also as you know finding the right person to do the job is very difficult.

I do recommend that you exercise caution in who you hire to do the work, although they are hired to repair/replace insulation and belly fabric if done carelessly they can also cause alot of damage...bend ducts, put holes in flex duct, damage water lines etc...

If you have not done so check out the articles link and scroll down a ways on the left side you will see an Article titled a A better Skirting Idea, this could be a viable option for your skirting. Many have done this and love the results.

Mark's manual also covers belly repairs and the installation of this metal skirting. The manual can be ordered in the online store, go to the BOOKS/PARTS link in the task menu.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!