Alrighty then....

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dirty White Boy

I have been working non-stop, trying to stop or reroute the flooding that occurs nearly everytime it rains here. Gravel here, bushes here, top soil here...

I'm down to one problem now. The rain runs down my gravel driveway and pools in one small spot, maybe a 2x3 area. This pool is where I graded and planted a garden, which is slowly being washed away when the water rises and runs through my edging.

I was talking to my neighbor about digging a french drain. This seemed overwhelming considering I am about 100 feet away from any runoff. He brought me over to his place and showed me a area where 2 years prior, he had buried a 5 gallon bucket. He secured the top on after filling it with large stones and drilling holes along the bottom edge. Cut a hole in the top and attached a 9 inch drain, filled around the bucket and eventually covered it with grade 2 stone...

Any thoughts?

Anyone else ever make their own "drainage"?
Yanita

Hi,

I believe he created a home made version of what we call a catch basin.

We did a similar thing here, although we did the basin in brick/mortar and the perforated pipes going to are under ground and connect to the middle of the basin. The drainage pipes are connected at the lower part of the basin, and diverts the water to the drainage ditch.

We also did a similar set up for the condensate line of our AC, so much water comes from that, that we needed to get the water away from the cement pad it sits on...

Awhile ago another member and I had a very extensive thread about this, I am sure you could do a search and locate it.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!