Wallpaper over paneling

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Katie

Hi, me again! a past owner of my "palace" has put up wall paper over some of the paneling. I pulled some of it off in a bedroom and did the scrubbing, scraping and sanding to get the wall ready to paint...then my handyman said just to paint over it. (sigh)
I have painted over the standard mobile home "wallpaper" (I learned how on this site!!!) but this is the regular kind, glued down..... it is a gray color...the color of the pavement on I-95 --- it looks like the inside of a prison cell. its no wonder people used this place for a crack house.........
can I paint over it? it seems to be glued down real good.
It's only money, Right?
Yanita

Hi,

So long as it is completely adhered to the wall, yes, you can paint over it. I think I would still prime and paint, maybe start with one small area and see what it looks like.

I have seen sometimes when the paper was adhered but the primer and paint made the paper bubble up.

JMO,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Katie

Thank you for all your help. It seems to have been put on with a lot of glue. It is pretty heavy paper, good quality. I will take your advice and try a portion to see how it takes the paint... if it turns out poorly, I guess it wouldn't be any big deal then to just peel off the paper, paint and all.... I am getting "itchy" to try it.... I can't wait to get rid of that gray wall..... not very appetizing for a dining room, looks like the inside of a prison cell. I was at Home Depot the other day and bought four gallons of paint that were mixed incorrectly, so will pick out one of those colors and try it.... still have some "Bulls-eye " primer left over from the guest room....I can't put on the next coat of paint in there til I get the kitchen cabinets finished and out. It's like dominoes in there.
It's only money, Right?