Wiring for Fan Blower Replacement

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Jim & Martha

Hi,
We are replacing the blower motor on our Coleman EB17B. The old motor had two wires coming out of the side; one orange and one black.

The new motor has 6 wires and this is what the sticker says on the side of the new motor.

Red
_______________Lo
Yellow
_______________M-lo
_______________Hi

Orange

Orange and Brown doesn't say what they are but I am assuming those go to the capacitor?

There was no wiring schematic with the new motor other than the sticker that was on the side (above).

I know this needs to be re-wired. Can someone break down what wires should be spliced and/or not used?

Thank you so much for having this forum!
Robert

Hi Martha,

Ok, the motor you bought to install is most likely the original motor that came with the furnace.

Why/how it came to have the single speed motor that burnt up is beyond me.

Anyway, since it ended with the single speed motor soehow, did they keep the molex plug connectors (male from motor and female from furnace) ?

OR, did they just use wire nuts to connect the two motor wires ?

Whichever way, the wires go as such, using wire nuts or aligning the hole pins in molex connector plugs.

You have a wire from common/Line side of transformer that goes to an orange wire that connects to run capacitor.

Then, the orange from motor connects to same side of run cap as other orange.

Brown wire from motor to other side of run cap

Blue and Red wires are taped off out of way and unused.

Black is High speed for cooling/fan continous and connects to wire from blower relay terminal # 4

Yellow is Med. Low speed for heating and connects to wire from blower relay # 6

By just having only one speed (Hi), it was used for heating in place of Med. Low which used more power than needed in winter.

Also, the faster speed "cooled" down the heated air and made furnace work harder to heat home.

Hope this helps, let me know if more needed.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Jim & Martha

Hi Robert,
The more Jim and I looked at the old motor, the more I think it is the exact one as the replacement. The wiring diagram on the sticker is exactly the same.

The old one had a little box like thing on the bottom of it. Then, the only two wires coming out of the blower motor were the orange and black, both thicker than the wires on the new motor. Also the ground wire.

Here are the photos of the old one and then the new one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ ... se/001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ ... se/003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/ ... se/004.jpg

All of what you said made sense except for the blower relay. Looking at the photo above is that what the little box was? There isn't one of those on the new blower.

Thanks Robert. I am the 'in between' person since DH is on nights this weekend. I am trying my best to get all of the research together that I can have it for him when he wakes up tomorrow!

Thanks again!
Martha
Robert

Hi Martha,

Yep, same motor, just an updated newer one without that old wire speed box on side.

The Blower Relay can be seen on right side of this page :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanElec.html

Blower Relay # 3110-3301

Click on pic for enlarged view.

At bottom section of furnace where the heating elements and wires, controls and breakers are located.

Blower Relay is in upper left corner above transformer.

Will have to remove metal cover panel if applicable.

Is it possible the other wires were burnt off ?

If not, not sure why the Med. Low speed was not connected for heating.

Do y'all live in Upstate SC , that is where I'm from.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Jim & Martha

Hey!
I saw in another post that you mentioned you were from Clemson? We are in Graniteville, which is right outside of Aiken. Between Augusta and Aiken. Small world!

No, there were no other wires. I think that the motor overheated because there was a LOT of dust on the vent side of the motor.

So, we probably already have the blower relay, it just is in the unit? I was just going by what I saw either connected to the blower or that squirrel cage thing. Or, do you think we were missing it? I'll have him check it.

He is a mechanic by trade and I believe he will be able to wire it correctly.

I will bet you that the speed issue is why my electricity bills were over $400 in January and February. That is just unbearable. We will have to replace the heat and air soon. I learned today that our small outside unit was not a sufficient size to accomodate the house. I don't know why they didn't install something adequate.

Thanks again Robert. You guys are the best!
Martha
Robert

Hi Martha,

Yep, small world indeed, used to do some deer hunting down that way.

Not sure why the other speed wasn't used, but if you had high speed for heat, that didn't help bill any.

A older unit also tends to cost more with heating elements in winter.

Let me know if we can help further on this or any other MH problems.

Robert