Tile for backsplash in kitchen?

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

markow05

I've been reading many great ideas for my kitchen re-do but I haven't come across anyone writing about using tiles as a backsplash.

Has anyone done this before?

I like the plexiglass idea Yanita you posted on another thread. I hadn't really thought about that before. Thanks!
flcruising

My house came with tile backsplash and countertop nosing everywhere. We like it. The tiles used were simply butted to each other, and seams/edges latex caulked. I'll try to remember to post a picture of it this evening.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
texasprairierose

Our kitchen had 4x4 ceramic tile backsplash for 16 years. We are in the process of remodeling so we tore up all of the old ceramic tile countertops and backsplash. We replaced the countertops with High Definition laminate from Wilsonart and found some granite mosaic tile that we are going to do the backsplash with. I will post pictures when it is done.

Diane
flcruising

Here's our kitchen.

NickD

Aaron, I like your tile! We are thinking of doing something similar to our kitchen. I have seen some of the "Remodel" shows where they just scuff up the existing laminate/formica and put the tile right on top. What do you think?

Nick
flcruising

That definitely would work. BUT -

We used to live in an old house that had 4x4 tile counters. They were the worst counters to have. The grout joints constantly needed cleaning and they weren't flat and smooth like seamless counters. If I were to ever do a 'tile' counter, it would be 12x12 groutless butt-jointed stone to create a smooth surface. After living in that house, I would not choose to use ceramic/porcelain tile for any counter.

Sorry for sounding so negative, just my personal experience.
Yanita

Hi,

Just adding my 2 cents here. I own a small residential cleaning business...I am with Aaron on this one. Keeping grout lines clean is tedious and something you have to maintain regularly. If you must have tile I agree with Aaron.

BUT, before you install tile does your home have noticeable shifting with the change of seasons? If so this will raise heck with about any tile application.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

I used tile to build our counter top when I installed the "free" dishwaser. It is about bullet proof, you can put ANYTHING hot on it without damage. The only problem you do have is, drop a glass or plate on it and it's history. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

I agree Greg, the durability can't be beat.

I like the look of your kitchen. But, do you not have cleaning issues with the grout? Maybe with a good grout sealer they wouldn't require as much maitenance.
Greg

The only issue we seem to have with this counter (it's my second one) is that the sealer only lasts a few months on the tile. I'm not sure if the formula in the sealer was changed or what. the other countertop sealer lasted years.
No problems with the grout. Greg
markow05

Wow awesome kitchen pictures!! Thanks for showing me how that'd look. I just couldn't picture it in my mind but now I have a pretty good idea now. :wink:

One of our winter projects is to completely overhaul our kitchen, so I'm gathering up information and ideas on how to do my backsplash behind my stove.

Thanks again for posting pictures. I'm just in awe over them. *wishes her kitchen looked that good* :?
markow05

Greg,
Please do send me more pictures! I'd love to see them. :P

hawkslady@mchsi.com

Thanks!
phelpcd1

My ex surprised me a few years ago and put tile right on top of the original formica countertops. This was his first time doing a counter job so it isn't at all great-looking, but it's better than what was there. It has held up so far so good. I agree that the grout is horrible to get clean. If/when I need to replace this it will be with a smooth surface. He didn't do a "backsplash" per se, so I took some mud and made a kind of stucco looking treatment behind the stove and did a "faux" painting to make it appear like a backsplash was done. This kitchen is the smallest kitchen imaginable so I didn't exactly have to do a large area.

Greg

That was the way I did our first one, right over the formica. If you want a backsplash just screw a 1x4 to the wall and tile it over. the only problem may be the outlets. Greg
Trudi

phelpcd1 wrote:My ex surprised me a few years ago and put tile right on top of the original formica countertops. This was his first time doing a counter job so it isn't at all great-looking, but it's better than what was there. It has held up so far so good. I agree that the grout is horrible to get clean. If/when I need to replace this it will be with a smooth surface. He didn't do a "backsplash" per se, so I took some mud and made a kind of stucco looking treatment behind the stove and did a "faux" painting to make it appear like a backsplash was done. This kitchen is the smallest kitchen imaginable so I didn't exactly have to do a large area.

Wow, phelpcd1! It might be small in size, but what you've done in decorating is tremendous! Love it!