colman/evcon model BRCQ036B condenser fan problem

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

cen7779

Hello,

I have a 1994 mobile home with a model BRCQ036B ac unit. About 3 weeks ago I found that the AC had kicked on but was blowing warm air, there was also a kind of hissing noise coming from the furnace unit. I shut it off and gave it some time and when I turned it back on it performed like normal. I had hopped that the problem wasn't going to come back but it has. I have since figured out that the condenser fan is not always starting when the thermostat kicks on but it will run if I give it a push start. I found a stiff spot when by rotating the fan by hand so I pulled the motor, took it apart and replaced the factory lube, that made it spin easier but it still fails to start on occasion. Could this just be a bad run condenser, or since it is intermittent does that mean the whole motor needs replaced? Also it ran for a good half hour with out the fan going and was hissing. Is that going to kill the compressor or loose coolant?

Thanks for any help
Chad
Robert

Hi,

Could be just a bad run capacitor or could be a motor going bad.

Whichever it is would require a new run capcitor either way, so would try that first.

Running unit without condenser fan will raise head pressure and overheat compressor.

Not good, but probably ok as long as it didn't do this for excessive amount of time.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
cen7779

Robert,

Thanks for your help. Do you happen to know where the run capacitor is located on the unit? Also do you have any idea what I can expect to pay for the capacitor and motor?

Thanks again
Chad
Robert

Hi Chad,

Follow the wires entering the unit to the controls compartment.

Run cap is in there.

The Motor is $134.88 .

Run Cap is $7.61 .

Shipping = $16.50

Let me know if you want ordering info.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?