Water dripping from under Coleman Model 7970C856

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

savagek

Hello,

I was inspecting underneath my double wide and where the big air hoses connect to the metal juction type metal box that appears to be right under furnace, there is slow dripping coming off this metal box. I am running a/c all the time at this point. The drain hose that comes out by the outside unit flows water constantly while a/c is on.

Questions:

Is this drain hose from the A-coils inside the furnace?

Is it normal for this metal junction box to sweat water like this?

Please let me know anything on this subject.

Thanks,

Rob
Robert

Hi Rob,

If it is one big flex duct running over and connecting to toher half, that is your crossover duct.

With the cold air flowing through the box to the duct, the metal is cold and ambient temp is warmer and condensation is natural.

Insulate the box because you are losing coldness before it gets to flex duct.

Yes, the drain line is from the A-Coil/drip pan inside.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
savagek

Hi Robert,

This metal duct/box seems to be the starting point of air flow as it appears to be nearly right under the furnace inside. Is this toher half?

The big tubes coming from this metal duct/box which run all around to various locations under the home. Is this the crossover duct?

I was concerned from the water as I was worried it was inside the box and leaking out, but it appears to be sweating and dripping. Out of curiosity, is there a way that water could get inside this box?

Yes, I will definitely plan to insulate the box. Being it is wet like this, what exactly should I use for this?

Thanks,

Rob
Robert

Hi Rob,

That sounds like feeder runs. Do they attach to a trunkline on other half or do they connect to register boot collars ?

Your evaporator A-Coil drip pan or drain line can overflow and fill the box, but since it is draining good, probably just condensation.

Turn unit off, allow box to dry and wrap with heaviest R-Value normal roll insulation.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
savagek

Hi Robert,

Sorry, but I am not sure on the correct terminology used - toher half, crossover duct, feeder run, trunkline, and boot collar. But I do know you know what I am talking about.

I will insulate box as you described.

Thanks again Robert for all your help.

Rob
Robert

Hi Rob,

Other half = doublewide with two halves. One half of home has furnace, then there is the "other half" .

Boot Collar = connector at floor registers.

Trunkline = There is usually two main duct trunklines, one down center of each half of home

Feeder runs = Sometimes you'll have different ductwork set up and may not have two trunklines. You may have several branch feeders run to each register on one half.

Crossover duct = the flex duct connecting the two main trunklines IF you have two trunklines.

You said you had a box with several big duct hoses ran to different locations.

That sounds like branch feeders ran from a plenum box under the furnace.

Remove the register grilles and use a light and mirror to look down in duct. See if you have a long rectangular trunkline or if you just look down into a single flex duct connection.

You're very welcome also, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert