Electric Tankless Water Heaters.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Loki

I currently have a traditional 50gal Electric H20 unit made by Bradford White. It is starting to give me fits and we are thinking about replacing it with a tankless setup. I do not have gas in the home so electric is my only option and since it is going in a mobile home I belive works out better. Does anyone have any experiance or tips on these units...any model ideas etc?
flcruising

You probably can't use the electric model. They pull 80+ amps of current, which is almost half of what the average house (200 amp) panels are. They must be factored in with new construction, and not far into it, the cost is generally so much more, that it's VE'ed out of all my projects.

If you are serious about it, you may look into propane models, but then you would need a tank.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Dirty White Boy

In Texas, you wouldn't be to bad with the electric, but still not very cost effective. Gas is the only way to go, but you'll be paying the same amount for insulation and venting as the heater itself...
Yanita

Hi,

Regardless of which or either option you choose if you read up about them you will see where they are generally recommended for southern regions. Our water temps are warmer than the north.I do not know what area you reside in, just thought I would include the info.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
flcruising

Good point Yanita.

The temperature rise and water demand needed must be factored in to how big of a unit your household requires. 'Point-of-use' water heaters always come out to better efficiency, but the cost to install at each location is prohibitive.

I think your best bet is to install another tank heater, or look into supplemental solar. If you want to read about it more, and are handy-man'ish, here's some good DIY sites:

http://www.byexample.com/projects/curre ... collector/

http://builditsolar.com/
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Yanita

Hi,

Actually if you can afford the electrical upgrades, gas install, permits and labor and get the unit that fits your needs these units can/will pay for themselves in a fairly short time. I am considering 2 for our home. BUT, that is because I live in the south, for the most part our water table is about 24inches down.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Dirty White Boy

Yanita wrote:Hi,

Regardless of which or either option you choose if you read up about them you will see where they are generally recommended for southern regions. Our water temps are warmer than the north.I do not know what area you reside in, just thought I would include the info.

Yanita

That's what I was getting at...in New york gas is the only way to go. The electric ones never get the water warm enough. If you could find a set-up to get them warm enough, you never see a break in your electric bill.