Fresh Air Duct Coleman Unit

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

nWo

I had a aircon tech out the other day and was told that the fresh air duct was worthless in a mobile home and that I could plug it up cause we are young and always opening the door and windows to allow fresh air to come in the house. We live in Texas, and my question is...

1.With it as HOT as it has been here, and the fresh air duct draws air from the outside, wouldn't that make it that much harder to cool the house down in the middle of the day when the temps are at their highest.

2. What is the harm of plugging the fresh air vent?

3. What role does this vent play in the grand scheme of the a/c pressure that come from the floor vents?

Thanks.
Mike
Robert

Hi Mike,

1- Yes

2- None IF it is the fresh air duct ONLY you plug.

3- No role

IF unit is new, may void warranty though.

If no other way to get fresh air in home, best to leave until you get other means.

IF it is connected right as designed, it bypasses a-coil and therefore mixes hot air with the cooled air before delivering through ducts.

Really depends on where you live and heat load in summer and cold load in winter.

So, it is 50/50 as to good or bad depending on where you live and weather at any given time.

A lot of them have an attice vent also, do not disarm it in any way.

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
nWo

Thanks Robert.

I live in Fort Worth Texas and the temps have been over 100 most of the summer, and we really don't get frigid temps in the winter. What is a attice vent and where might I find this?

Would it be easier to plug the fresh air vent from under the house and what should I plug it with?

My warranty runs out in a month, so I am looking to help the units performance any way I can.

Appreciate the advise.
Robert

Hi Mike,

The attic vent motor is on the roof inside a roofjack/flue vent IF you have one.

The fresh air is brought in from the roof as well.

What is your Blend Air system model number and name ?

IF it says "DELUXE" Blend Air, it has the roof/attic vent motor.

Go to top toolbar, click HVAC, then when green screen appears, click Articles and read "troubleshooting blend air systems" for info and pics.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?