Reporting on my Wall Situation

Come share your ideas for sprucing up your property.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

georgia

I picked a small area and washed it with TSP then rinsed. 24 hours later I painted one area with Gripper and one with Klitz. After 6 days there is no difference in either. They can both be scratched off very easily with my finger nail.
Yanita

Wow, I have no clue what you have for walls then...this method that I have told you has always worked for me and countless others.

I am thinking now that your only other recourse would be to use a de glosser on the wall board. Or replace the panels with sheetrock.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Trudi

Georgia, Kilz makes different primers for different purposes. Is the one you used a "bonding" primer? That stuff should bond with glass! I can't remember from your first post, did you ever use Zinsser? The can says it bonds with any surface without sanding, and the lid says, "The Pro's Choice."

There was a question on the HGTV painting forum, about how long to wait between priming and painting. This was news to me, but some say that if you wait too long, it loses its bonding ability. I'd never heard that before, however one pro (who really knows her stuff, I might add), said that she knew painters who sometimes waited up to 3 weeks before painting, and didn't have a problem. Who knows? Just passing along the info, in case it could be useful.
georgia

I tried sanding a few places and the primer seems to be sticking but only where there is a lot of sanding done. There is a very slick finish on this stuff. My husband says the inside of it is sheet rock.
Lots of work here! Thanks for your suggestions. I actually hated the color I had used so maybe it was a good thing it didn't stick. I'll report in if there is ever any progress made.
Yanita

Hey Georgia,

I guess you will need to remove existing paint and whatever primer is not sticking...try using a deglosser or a bonding primer, will say it on the can. Then try repainting. Do each step in small areas as test areas.

I feel real bad for you, I don't mind painting but I sure do mind the prep work!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
georgia

I've already removed the primer and paint. We are sanding now.