Question on marble sinks

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bethk

We purchased a new marble sink this weekend for our bathroom remodel and am wondering about how it stands up. I thought a counter and sink all in one piece would be easiest for cleaning but had a few different people tell me that they yellow. In fact, in the small out of the way bathroom in our church there is a marble sink and it has yellowed, and it's not that old. Is there a special way to take care of it so this doesn't happen? I want to take it back if it turning yellow is a given. If any of you have one, what is your experience?

Thanks for your help,

Beth
JD
Site Admin

Hi Beth,

I have installed and pulled out a lot of these cultured marble sink tops. They can yellow over time, but I think that is more to do with iron or something in the water. I have one in my bathroom that has to be 20 years old and it has not yellowed at all. But I have seen them do that. They do seem to collect hard water stain if they are rarely cleaned at least more so than a porcelain finish which can take more serious scrubbing over a longer period of time. Depends on how clean you keep it. But even with porcelain, it depends on the quality of unit you buy. I would take the cultured marble over a cheap sink any day. I do like the lack of raised rim at the top.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Dirty White Boy

Just like the paint on your car, you need to buff it...actually with the same items.lol

Use a medium buffing compound and a polishing wax for cultured marble sinks. Make sure the polish is approved for fiberglass bodies. Then rinse sink thoroughly.

True marble can be buffed the same way but I would try borax rubbed into the surface with a moist towel first...It will be necessary to seal the marble with a stone sealer after you buff it though.
Bethk

Thanks for the replies. So, a regular bathroom cleaner would not do then? I would be cleaning at the very least weekly. What I normally use is regular bathroom cleaner, like 409.

Thanks,

Beth
JD
Site Admin

Any softscrub or non abrasive cleaner used once a week should keep the finish nice for a long time. Again, I think the yellowing may have to do with the type of minerals in the water. A porcelain sink may not have this yellowing problem. The culture marble is a plastic, so it is softer than porcelain. But when if/ you do need a deep cleaning, the polishing DWB suggests would probably do a great job. Never tried it myself.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Bethk

I didn't realize that it was a plastic. I thought it was stone. Darn. Oh well. At least it looks better than the "original" plastic sink that was in there. :-)