BATHROOM VENTS: Side Wall or Roof???

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kamiller73

Hi everyone!!! :D I'm wanting to install a vent in bathroom (actually both of them) and wanting to know if anyone had any suggestions on whether I should install a roof vent or one in the side wall going outside?? Seems simple enough, but have never done it before and hoped someone here would have suggestions. I am having a friend who's an electrician come over to help me hook it up if going through the roof, but roomate's a little nervous going thru the roof since it's not leaking - afraid it will start. Which would be more effective, cheaper and easiest. :roll:
kamikaze
oldfart

Now mind ye this is just my 2 cents worth...I never claimed to be a professional venter..but...I'm leaning toward a wall-vent. Making a hole in that roof just makes me shivver! I've put a lot of dryer-vents out thru walls and never had a leak. (knock on wood!) The problem with a roof is snow lays on it...so does ice or frost. Any of which could cause a leak. Going out thru a wall is simpler, less expensive and (IMHO..) less prone to problems. Yup..it's probably not quite as efficient. I'll make that trade-off. If a wall-vent leaks I can take it off/out and locate the problem and deal with it and seal it up. If a roof vent leaks there might not be an easy way to reach and fix the problem. It's not like we can climb up into the attics of our homes and deal with the problem. A repair means ripping out the ceiling, locating the leak and then proceding with a repair. And hoping it works. Now if the installation is done by a professional with a warrantee...okey-dokey. Audie..the Oldfart...
mokehillannie

I don't think a guy in Glendale, Az is going to have a problem with snow and ice, but I'm with you Audie, I would hate to put another hole in the roof.

Here we have to worry about monsoon rains. We've had a very wet summer.
kamiller73

Yea... I live in Arizona. I worry about the heat mainly that a side wall vent would let in. Our electric bills during summer are @ $400 monthly. And since the A/C unit (very old) basically runs all day I'm wondering if I should put in a vent at all. Does anyone forsee the heat as being a reason not to install one?? And what about bugs? Are they able to come in through these vents??
kamikaze
oldfart

Kam, I'm kind'a playing catch-up on some older posts but let me try and expain something. The reason for venting the bathroom in these old mobile home isn't to exhaust heat..it's to exhaust moisture. (the bane of mobile homes) It's not just the moisture building up on the mirrows my friend..it's the moisture that causes rot and mold. Hence the reason to vent the bathroom. Now that being said, why choose a roof-vent over a wall vent? And is one more efficient? Yes..a roof vent would be more efficient. BUT..more prone to leaks in areas of rain/snow/frost. etc. And, as well.... there is no reason for a wall vent to be less efficient in areas prone to high heat....such as the southwest. A wall exhaust should be a louvered-style much like a common dryer-vent exhaust. The louvered vanes open when the fan forces the air out (such as when taking a shower) and close at any other time and thus prevent warm/hot air from entering the home. Well my friend I hope this may shed some light on the subject. YMHS....Audie..the Oldfart...
kamiller73

Hey I sure do love any help and comments on what I'm trying to undertake. As of right now, NO MOISTURE GETS OUT OF THIS HOME. lol My first chore is installing a dryer vent (which is right now venting under the home) and after reading and learning all the things that should be done (that aren't in this home) I see the importance of these changes for our safety and health. Little bits at a time of course, but I'm def. not a pro at doing any of this, but this website has opened my eyes to more than enough problems that I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Thanks guys!!!
kamikaze
Yanita

Hi,

Just my 2 cents worth...I am not a heat/air tech but I think I learned that the AC unit actually removes the humidity from the air to make it feel cooler. Something like that. You need to use all vents that are in your home, if none then install them.

When cooking always run your vent over the stove, and I leave mine running for up to a 1/2 hour after dinner is completed. Bathroom vents are equally as important. Again, turn on before you turn on the hot water and run at least 1/2 hour after your shower/bath is complete.

Although your dryer is/will be vented some moist air still escapes into the home. Or at least it seems mine does...I run the bathroom vent when the dryer is on as well.

I live in hot/humid Eastern NC...my AC does not run all day. Hopefully if you start using your vents then your home will be easier to cool.

LOL, If I am mistaken someone will be certain to correct me.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!