why is everything different in a mobile home?

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

sd0321

Like plumbing? I just wanted to see if the constant drip from the bath tub faucet was something easy, like needs a new o ring or washer or whatever.....took the handles off....left with this....

[img]

And I cannot get those metal sleeves off....so I snap a picture and go over to the mobile home repair place, show it to Mark, and he says those metal sleeves should either pull off or unscrew....and he was right, they did, with alot of effort and a little blood loss, unscrew, but then what was under that was foreign to me....no stem valve looking thing. It's all plastic, and one part comes off, and then just more plastic.....now the mobile home place is closed for the evening....and I think I better just put it back together before I break something and then can't even use the bathtub.....

Am I going to have to replace the whole thing, or is there a stem valve (or whatever it's called) somewhere in the wall there?

After I put a band aid on my bleeding thumb, I went and bought a newspaper to look for apartments for rent.....yeah.....wimping out....500 and up a month for a two bedroom.....or 160 lot rent and 100 payment for nine months to pay off what I owe.....what to do....I now have two kittens, and I smoke, (I know, it is a terrible habit and I hope to someday not smoke....) and most apartments say NS and NO PETS. I have to figure out this stuff, I can't get rid of the cats. Sherry[/img]
sd0321

Forot to click the last thing, "insert picture".......

Image[/img]
Robert

Hi Sherry,

They're different because they in general cost less and are under a different set of codes and are built in a plant.

Best to replace the faucet, not try and repair it. Go around to backside of wall in another room or closet and see if there is an access door. If not, time to make one.

Then you turn water off, unscrew the water connections, unscrew the faucet nuts and then remove the faucet.

You can replace with one exact or close to exact with same plastic parts or get one with brass manifold assembly for a little more.

If you click on books&parts, then plumbing in top toolbar, you'll see alot of what Mark has, but he has more in the store that's not shown.

$500 a month to give away or $260 for 9 months, then $160 from then on to own,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,easy choice for me. After all is done and it will get done, upkeep will keep it that way and you can spend your hard earned money on other things.

Hang in there, best support group ever here and you can talk face to face with Mark 5 days a week, LOL.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
sd0321

Thanks Robert,

There is an access (spelled wrong?) panel in my bedroom closet that is the back of the shower/bathtub wall.....on the weekend I'll see if I can replace the whole faucet......

trying to sleep and not worry......Sherry
Robert

Hi Sherry,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

You're doing fine, just keep at it.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
sd0321

Robert,

To replace the whole bathtub faucet can I just go to Menards and buy a regular house type bathtub faucet like I did when I replaced the kitchen faucet, or do I have to buy a bathtub faucet especially for a mobile home?

I feel like yesterday was just an especially bad day, worked eight days in a row and on my day off yesterday I just had no energy left to deal with working on this place. Tonight I went out with friends from work (payday) and I'm feeling like I'd rather have a three bedroom mobile that might eventually be nice than rent again and have squeaky floors that wake me up all the time from people above me walking around....or maybe it's just the Bud Light talking.... :-)

Anyway, you people on this site are a life saver. No matter what it is, there is an answer. That gives me hope. I might be able to make this place a home. Thanks again, Sherry
Robert

Hi Sherry,

Take it out and carry it with you. If it fits, you can use whatever type you choose.

We're happy to help so keep on asking.

Robert
Last edited by Robert on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mon

Thx for such a nice suggestion ... i really found this site great :)
I don't want to say Goodbye
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, welcome aboard . :)

Robert
oldfart

Sherry I hope you have a sense of humor. Let me begin with "nothing that fits a normal home will fit in a mobile home without some modification." It's as simple as that. Doors don't fit, tubs&showers don't fit. Even simple faucets and drains don't fit...all the time. Cabinets don't fit...material for floors&walls is either too thick or too thin. Windows don't come in these sizes or thickness to fit the outside walls. Toilets may or not fit...measure first! Studs in the walls may be there..or not..and they might be 1x3 studs...2x3 studs..or actual 2x4 studs if you're fortunate! They might be 16in. on center..mebbe not! Roof rafters can vary from 1x2 rafters to 2x4 rafters to "they ain't any rafters there!" :) Floor joists run the gamut from 16 inch on center 2x8's to...."what the ++++????" Plumbing is a whole 'nuther story. I had an incoming 1in. poly waterline hooked to galvanized 1 inch iron pipe...hooked to gas fittings that split off to Quest plastic pipe and then to flexible copper lines which split into 1/2 inch galvanized iron pipe which switched to c.p.v.c pipe and A.B.S. plumbing tossed in for good measure. I call it "The Forrest Gump School of Building!" You just never know what your gonna' find..it's like a box of chocklates! Audie..the Oldfart....
sd0321

Thanks for all the great advice and support - and Audie, I do have a sense of humor.... and I think I'm going to need one living in a mobile home. I thought a regular home was a challenge after divorce.....if I knew then what I know now, I would have just kept my house to begin with. Atleast houses were familiar.

Pretty sure in a windy rainstorm in a house I never heard a clang and looked out and saw part of my siding (the piece that covers the outside access hot water heater) laying in the yard....or felt like I was going to fall through the floor if I accidentally stepped on a heating vent....

On the bright side, I found a new handyman, and the handyman is a "she".... know how people put up posters on bulletin boards in grocery stores? Sign said "painting and light carpentry" and I put the number in my wallet....Sally was the name. One night at work, one of our nurses (PRN - on call, not there all the time....) was talking about what she does on the side....some painting and carpentry....I'm like "Sally, I bet it's your number I have in my wallet..." She gave me her business card. (I'll bet you Sally does a heck of a lot better at measuring and cutting than the "handyman" I paid to mess up my hallway.) When I can afford it, I will give her a call.

I think I can. Make this mobile home a home. But it isn't all going to get done at once. But even as it is, it beats the heck out of renting. Someday the bathtub faucet won't be leaking and the roosters will be gone in the kitchen. And I will feel like I can actually use the lower (base?) cabinets.....

But for now..... I am actually taking some vacation time....all I've done in the past couple of years is cash my vacation time out and work....and flying to San Francisco tomorrow. I'm also afraid to fly. I totally hate flying. But it is my 30th. high school reunion and I have never been to one and my best friend is tired of being asked "Where's Sherry?" So I'm going. Flight 357 into SFO tomorrow, well actually, today....doesn't that sound like a movie of the week? we'll return to Flight 357 after these pauses.....about a fatal flight????###!!! And I have the annual cold....seem to get one every October since my divorce, must be some kind of curse.

Oh well. It is raining again. That is all it has done since I bought this mobile home. But I'm still here. Chyna Shepard Alive and Untouched....ten bucks to anyone who knows where that line came from, if you guess, send your address and if you really know I'll really send you ten dollars.... :-) Sherry
bilbar25

"Chyna Sheperd Alive and Untouched....
from the "made for TV movie"----

Intensity !!!!
[color=red]When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live your life so when you die, the world cries and you rejoice![/color]
sd0321

Wow, I can't believe anyone else would know where that line came from!

Although I did not know it was a movie, I read the book by Dean Koontz. And it was intense. What kind of a person would jump into the RV of a psycho? Not me..... :-) But I liked the way the gal would say to herself her name and "alive and untouched" and it made her feel stronger....

Well obviously I survived flight 357.... and had a good time seeing friends and family...although I find that I cannot handle the freeways and all the traffic anymore.

Going up 19th. Avenue in the City, I actually asked my sister to pull over and let me trade places from the front passenger seat to the backseat where her 19 year old daughter was sitting. We had to cross the GG Bridge yet, and go as far north as Cotati....and I was stressing. (I might mention that for a good many of the 15 years that I have lived in South Dakota I was in Redfield, where there is ONE stoplight in the entire town....) Yeah...I know...who ever thinks they are actually going to say "I CALL THE BACKSEAT!!!" in their entire life???? Well, I did. And my neice was just as happy in the front seat in full control of the music anyway.....

Trip did make me wish I was there....looked on realtor.com and saw some mobile homes in Lake County California not too expensive...but I bet the lot rent is outrageous. And then my kids would have to fly to see me.....'cause I'm not doing that all the time....so will probably just stay where I'm at. Although, leaves are falling and it is getting cold here, and people were surfing in Pacifica there....in October.... :-)
Yanita

Hi Sherry,

Although it will take some time and money you can get this older home in disrepair brought into your standards. A mobile home can last a lifetime if it was maintained at purchase, but typically that does not happen. Soooo, that leaves us to bring our homes into what we want, and with great satisfaction once we are done.

Hubby and I bought this then 34 year old doublewide almost 3 years ago. We are both in fairly good physical shape...thought we could knock this out within the first year....LMAO!!! Still have several gallons of paint and primers in the hallway that need to get on the walls. Boxes of various other supplies...Still need to paint every ceiling get trim up in every room except master suite and guest bath.

We did get the biggest stuff done though, ducts repaired/replaced, new Goodman gas/electric heat/ac unit, new doors and windows! Renovated, master suite from 2 smaller bedrooms to one huge room and the master bath got a complete renovation. From there we moved on to the guest bath, down to the floor joist and studs, new tub shower and sink!

The living and dining room have received textured walls and new paint! Those rooms still need some updated trim work!

We still have the kitchen to renovate as of yet...my mind set is...will get it done before I die! Same with the remaining bedroom.

Around here (this site) we always like to mention that alot of very nice items and be bought and modified from places like Habitat from Humanity and several other places at discount prices. Lowe's and Home Depot also have discount bins of various items! Don't forget Craigslist and Ebay, and don't forget to sign up online for your local Freecycle.

With thought and determination you will be amazed at how many repairs you can actually do on your own. If you have not done so already our Repair Manual sold on site (Books/PARTS link) will be a great asset to your toolbox! Of course we are always here to help you along the way!

Take care, and glad you made it safely on your flight! LOL, I too hate flying!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Yanita, Kitchen??? You need a FREE dishwasher!!!
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."