Installing new Range Hood Vent..

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kamiller73

Hi guys. Ok here we go again. This time I'm installing a Range Hood and new outside vent which has been pretty easy since the hole in the wall was already cut. In the first three pictures you can see I've already taken down the old hood and put up the new one. The first three pictures are looking from the outside in. I realized to late that I'm going to have to take it down again to attach the outside vent (last two pictures) to the hood, so my question is do i need to do this? And if so should I use the metallic duct tape (same i used for the dryer vent) to connect these? Also, the outside hood's length is to long so i figure I'm going to have to cut this back so it will fit snug to the wall. Which brings up another question.. Can I use regular waterproof silicone (clear stuff), along with screws of course, to seal it to the outside wall?? Or is this a bad idea? My roommate got these without me being there, so I didn't get to ask the salespeople at home depot if this is vent is even used for the range hood since it has another flap. lol Oh, and this vent's outside hood and inside metal-like duct were already attached so not sure how I'm going to get it attached to the inside hood. lol Any ideas??? Thanks guys!!!
kamikaze
JD
Site Admin

I have not installed a wall fan like you are showing, but I don't know how you would be able to seal tape the duct to the fan unit. How would you get into the hole?

I would think that you could accurately cut the duct to size and put heat resistant foam tape on the van to seal the unit when you push the duct in. What do the instructions say?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.