Repairs on Coleman Mobile Home a/c

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

lbethane

I just purchased a mobile home with a Coleman a/c with heat strip that is about 7 years old. The a/c would work for awhile and then stop. I had a repair person out and he found several problems:

1. the OFM (whatever that is?) has very warm bearings and would cost $395 to replace.
2. the contactor has burnt points and would cost $195 to replace
3. the coil has a leak.

He recommends replacing the whole unit with a Coleman mobile home package unit with heat pump since replacing all parts above would be within 2/3 of the cost of a new unit.

What are your thoughts??

thanks, linda
lbethane

Just saw your message to include model number. It is a Coleman Model # CPCP0301BA.
lbethane

One more thing...I spoke with the repair persona and he said that his recommendation and Coleman's is that if we are replaceing the a/c unit then we should also replace the flex and increase the size from 10" to 12". Do you agree?
Robert

Hi Linda,

Well, I'll let you decide.

OFM (Outdoor Fan Motor) = $147.86

Takes an hour max. to change out.

Contactor = $22.83

Takes 15 minutes max. to replace.

That leaves a charge of $419.31 for 1.15 hours of work, 2 hours at the very most from their $590.00 quote..

Did he show you the alledged leak ?

At only 7 years old and those quotes and what he suggested, I believe you know my thoughts here.

That motor and contactor both are DIY tasks if you are handy and have some mechanical and/or DIY inclinations.

Let me know if you want ordering info on them, we have them in stock.

Will need a reputable hvac company to check for a leak.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?