Gap in door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Bethk

We put our new front door in and had to shim it pretty good to make it level. There are gaps between the door and the walls that will be covered up with trim. Should we put low expansion foam in the gap around the door frame and the walls before we put on the trim? I can feel the coolness coming from this area and thought that this would help. What do you guys think?
shadow745

Either the foam or a good all-purpose caulk (depending on gap width). Whatever you do, I'd let it dry really good and install the trim. Later!
Yanita

Hi,

Most definitely, fill all the voids with either batts or the low expanding foam. Install you trim and to give a nice clean professional look caulk around the trim.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Bethk

Thanks so much you guys. This is the first time my husband and I have done anything like this (remodeling) and we appreciate your help so much!
Yanita

Hi Beth,

Your are very welcome.

Another quick thought when finishing your trim, use a nail set or another nail to recess your finish nail. Add a spot of filler, quick sand when dry then paint.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Bethk

Thanks Yanita. Yes, we have done this.
Brenda (OH)

If the space is very narrow, I use sill insulation and a spatula to push the insulation into the gap. Sill insulation is a 4 inch wide 1/4 thick product that comes in a roll. it is sort of a cross between plastic and foam, and can be compressed somewhat for a tight fit.

the nice thing about the sill insulation is that is is not itchy to handle, and is very water resistant.

Brenda (OH)
Hillbillyman

Expanding foam can be messy if not done properly ...
I have used foam backing rod on many occasions and had stellar results ... It comes on a roll and has varying widths being round it compresses quite well ...
Barney :)
Bethk

My husband and his friend did our back door yesterday. The new door is a about 5 inches taller than the old door and is wider. Our friend kind of misjudged the width of the new door which left a good size gap on the right side. I got home from work today and my husband filled it with regular insulation and the low expansion foam. It worked and no more cold air coming through.