Ewwww water bugs

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

70dart360

Help!!! Been seeing those water bugs here and there, now its getting colder I'm seeing more. New floors in the kitchen and bathrooms, all leaks fixed and everything caulked up tight. Still get them, and ideas to get rid of them? Dont know if this is the right forum so feel free to move this if needed, Thanks,
Tim
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Please take a moment to check out all the different forums and the links in the task menu. There is a lot of info on site.

This forum is for Repairs, since your question is not Repairs I will move it to Off Topic, please follow there.

To answer your question, those water bugs are roaches, I would assume to get rid of them you would need the same eradication measures as normally used. Get yourself some pesticide spray and have at it. There are lots of past threads on this subject.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
70dart360

Thanks for the welcome, I'll go check out the other threads on them. :D
sd0321

The other day at work a co-worker was complaining about spiders since it has started to go from fall to winter.... and I had worried about this alot living in a mobile home and this will be my first winter in it.

I told her I bought some "hedgeballs" in the grocery store and put one under the tub, under the kitchen sink, and under the bathroom sink.... and so far I haven't seen any insects or mice at all.

Before I got the hedgeballs I did see my cats playing with bugs on the carpet a couple of times, but haven't seen them doing that since, so maybe these things really work? Sherry
Yanita

Hi,

What are hedgeballs? :?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
sd0321

I don't really know what they are, except for they are some type of round thing about the size of an orange, but they are green and all bumpy and don't look like anything you would ever want to eat.... :-) and I never saw any until I lived in South Dakota.

In the fall here you find boxes of them in the produce section for about a dollar and a half each, and the sign says they repel mice, insects, etc. They shrink and shrivel up to look like a smaller brown thing. I'll have to look it up on google, I really don't know what they are or where they come from. Sherry
Popsicle_toes

They are really cool, unless they are falling off the tree onto your car! they are a hedge apple.. Very often, a Hedgeapple is incorrectly referred to as a Hedge Ball, Horse Apple, Green Brains, Monkey Balls or Mock Orange. In Texas, they call them Horse Apples.
http://hedgeapple.com/ gives some cool info..
The ones here are a lot bigger than an orange, more like just bigger than a grapefruit. My mom's neighbor had one planted next to mom's garage with a metal roof. Took a while to get used to the outrageous noise when they fell! tried them for roaches in a rental house, didn't have much luck with them, but I know people that swear by them
Doni
proud owner of doni's dump!
sd0321

Thanks for the website for the hedgeapples - there is alot of interesting info on there - plus people can order them! Now I know what they are and where they come from.