Help! safety hazard! Door opens on heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fossilnut

I'd appreciate some suggestions.
My little cabin in NE Washington only had electric heat. In order to be prepared for any Winter power outages, I added a propane wall heater on the only vacant piece of wall I had. But my hall closet door opens right onto the heater creating a safety hazard. I thought I'd kept aware of it but the other day, I left the door open and it got a little blackened before I smelled it.
I don't want this to happen again! I would love some suggestions. I'm toying with looking for an automatic door closer (if they make them for interior wood doors). For now, I'm sticking with electric heat and saving the propane for emergencies.
Thanks for your help.
Brenda OH reregister

I hope you get a more creative answer, but the one that comes to mind is...

remove the closet door, and put 2x4 wood across the front of the shelves to help keep anything from dropping off the shelves?

no door, no door to open up and touch the heater.......

Brenda (OH)
(I may be a little prejudice against doors right now, I have removed both bathroom doors while redoing the floors in the home I am rehabbing, I got tired of trying to work around them. it makes it really interesting on the days I work with contractors, (ok, you are going to use the bathroom, I will be waiting outside on the porch lol, or ok, they are outside, lock the entry doors, go to bathroom, unlock the entry doors.....) life is interesting as a woman rehabber......grin
DAVIS55

Is the door open only 90 degrees when it contacts the heater? Or is it open 180 degrees and it contacts the heater? If it is open 180 deg. and it contacts the heater,then you can use the door stops on the hinge pins. If it only opens 90 degrees and contacts the heater, I would switch the door to a bifold. used
[url=http://www.quailplumbing.com]Phoenix plumbing contractor[/url]
Greg

They also make spring loaded hinges (not the cheap screen door type) that may take a little work to find. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."