Shark Bites work on Gray Pipes!!!!!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kamiller73

I'm not a plumber, but have learned enough in the last year about these silly gray pipes to know how to at least fix'em when needed, or so I thought, then out of the blue when another leak sprung up my roommates decided to call an actual plumber and the guy came out, popped a 1/2" shark bite on the end and the darn pipes held. I was in TOTAL SHOCK :shock: I told him that I had researched and read on those and they only worked with PVC and Copper pipes and he shut me up real quick. I was certain (from yalls help lol) that the only way to fix that kind of pipes was with a crimper. Has anyone heard of this before? I keep waiting for it to bust again, but so far so good.
kamikaze
oldfart

Well now Kami..you seen it and it works..eh! I can tell ye that these new fittings have a host of possibilities. Them shark-bite fittings also work on abs/cpvc/soft flex.copper/hard copper/Pex in it's various incarnations and several other fittings! There are fittings that attach iron pipe to all the above mentioned as well!! Wann'a go from iron pipe to a shut-off valve to Pex? There's a fitting for that too! From cpvc to a shut-off valve to Pex? No problem! Theres a fitting for that to. Amazing! Audie the Oldfart....!
Greg

Well as you know they stopped the leak, BUT, for how long??? It may hold with no problem, but I know that at least one person here has had them come apart. As long as it is in a place that you can keep an eye on it you may be OK. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
70dart360

yes they will work fine and stay there if done right. I cut the pipe, clean and sand any burrs off it, then a tad of wd-40 on the o-rings to prevent them from breaking and snap it together. I have 5 inside, and last summer a root broke the main line to the home and I dug it up and fixed it the same way. Never had one come lose or leak, a few are at least 5 years old.
Tim