Coleman Furnace not heating both sides of the house

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

rfletcher

Model: DGAT090BDF
BTU/HR Input 90k
BTU/HR Output 72k

Got an issue where one half of the house receives (blows out) heat in the vents where the other side of the house is nearly frigid and blows out (really just puffs out, no real great air blowing) cool air. Has anyone got an idea what I can check?
I live in a 2450 SQFT Manufact. home

Thanks,
Ron
Robert

Hi Ron,

IF the side getting heated air is the side with the furnace, go underneath home and check your crossover duct.

It is a 10" or 12" usually flex duct that is down below the bellywrap and connects the two halves of the home.

See if one half has come loose or if the duct is kinked or torn.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
rfletcher

You were correct. Funny thing is, I had called 4 local HVAC businesses, 2 of which visited the house. After waking to a home that was 54 degrees and I have two small children I couldn't wait any longer. And of course this being the busiest time of the year I received the normal ' we can't see you until next week because we are swamped'.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and crawled under the house. Even though the other two companies couldn't find what I did, I found where the duct work was actually split. For a quick patch my father in law and I put a few screws in place then some silver tape. We will be back under later this week to finish the job. (We saw where some insulation seems to be in the middle of duct down further on the other side of the house keeping some of the hot air from coming thru). Now the house seems to be heating on both sides.
Thanks for your help in looking for this - it's funny how each company I told specifically what to do and neither company did what I said... err.. I mean what YOU said
Thanks again,
Ron
Robert

Hi Ron,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Best fix is to replace with two 90* ells at end collars and run hard metal between wrapping all with insulation with vapor barrier.

Next best is the 2 90* ells and stretch flex duct tight between.

Hook flex duct spiral inner wire under heads of 4 to 6 sheet metal screws, then tighten down screws.

Wrap zip ties around, then foil backed duct tape.

Metal duct, screw together and wrap seams/joints with foil backed duct tape.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?