Install aluminum awning cover

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

wislndixie

I'm wanting to install a 10x20 aluminum cover over our front deck. I've seen some packages on the internet that seem very reasonable. Has someone here done this? How hard and how do you connect the cover to the mobile home? We have a 1998 southern energy DW..thanks.
Mike
JD
Site Admin

I have installed many of these aluminum awnings. Here in Central California (valley) it is common to install the awning to the mobile home. In the valley, the only times we see a free-standing awning is when it is a carport that is separate from the home, like not next to it. As you get up into Yosmite and the Sequioa's where there is snow, awnings must be heavier gauge and free-standing. Schedule 40 pipe anchored in concrete, rebar or bolt through the pipe. Wind areas would have the same requirements as snow areas.

So, if it is common for aluminum awnings to be attached to homes in your area, and you feel comfortable with that;

Hanger (C-channel) is attached to the home. Line up the pre-drilled holes with the wall studs. 3/8" lag bolts must go into the studs, not siding or fascia. If the holes don't line up, move the bolt to go into the stud.

I will then use butyl putty tape or polyurethane caulk to fasten the flashing onto the home. This is much easier to do before you start putting up the panels. Then as I install a panel, I will reach up above the panel and add one screw into the flashing, going into the awning panel cleat (where the two pans clip together).

I would imagine that the awning you buy will come with instructions. This is your best source. None of the work is very strenuous, but you do want to be sure your awning is square before you start putting on pans and be sure to anchor the posts properly.

Hope this helps.
JD

Build your gutter/hanger connecting the posts at the proper spacing. Install the pans making sure the gutter is square to the hanger. As you put up the pans
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
wislndixie

Thanks JD, that was perfect. I'm down here in the South (alabama) so I don't have to worry about the snow. Am planning to buy an awning kit off the internet. I appreciate your input..
JD
Site Admin

You're welcome. Let me know if the instructions to your awning are not clear about how to square up the awning or getting started with the gutter. It can be a bit precarious since you build the awning gutter, attach the posts to it, lean it up and start putting pans on it. At that point the awning is not leveled for gutter height or attached to the ground.

I use one helper when I put up an awning, but would recommend 3 people for your first awning. The third person is just holding on to the awning post so it does not fall over while securing it. After the gutter has a couple of pans on it, 2 is all you need and it can even be done with one person, but he would need experience.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.