rotted ducts

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Brenda (OH)

Hi!

I am back to unclogging the heating ducts in the bank repo mobile home.

I found that there is a lot of rotted out holes in the ducts mostly directly under the heating vent openings. I am wondering what material I can use to patch the ducts from the inside, and what adhesive would be best?

I found that I can lay a flash light in a duct, and put a hinged make-up mirror in the next duct down, at an angle, and see what is laying in there.

I also can use the hinged mirror and hold it at an angle, and shine the LED flashlight down on it, and it reflects the light down the duct for me to see stuff. I have gotten a lot out, the next thing I will try is a dryer duct brush, to see if I can pull the stuff that is 5 to 6 feet away to the vent opening to remove it.

Brenda (OH)
bea_foot

after cleaning the ducts in my repo with an industrial vac i attached the hose to the exhaust side of the vac and blowed all of the debris that was left to the next vent and repeated the process.
i had a couple of places in the duct work under the vents that had rusted out and thought about covering them by taping a piece of valley tin over the area with foil tape that has the aluminum backing on it.
is there any reason it wouldn't work or why i couldn't patch the duct work like that?
flcruising

Anything you do to try and patch a hole in metal ductwork without mechanical fasteners (screws) will be only temporary. If you decide to patch, I think the best method would be with sheet metal and mastic.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]