Plywood added to bathroom floor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Lorne

To "Smooth" out some rough spots in the bathroom floor I'm adding 1/4" Plywood. The whole space is only 55x70 inches.
Peel and Stick will be on top.

Toilet question.
If I pull out the toilet, cut a round hole in the plywood for the flange there will be 1/4 inch raised around the flange, plus 1/8" for the tiles.

Can I just buy a thicker Wax Ring to takeup the 3/8" difference?

Or is there a spacer shim I can add to the top of the flange?
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
JD
Site Admin

The extra thick wax rings (No-Seep #10) would work well. I buy No-Seep #1 rings in 10 packs and when the flanged is recessed I just add a Bol-Wax plain wax gasket on top of it.

If the floor has waves or humps in it, the luan won't change that. If it is just ugly repairs or edges, flooring compound will work and is in my opinion easier to do. But if you are going over old vinyl or old glue, the luan underlayment is a good way to go. Look at the instructions though. Some peel-n-stick adhesives don't work well on plywood. I just finished a bathroom remodel yesterday where the tiles or loose and popping off all over the floor.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
RandyD

JD wrote:
Some peel-n-stick adhesives don't work well on plywood. I just finished a bathroom remodel yesterday where the tiles or loose and popping off all over the floor.

JD
I put down latex floor primer before tiling
Buy Quality.......Cry Only Once!!!!!
JD
Site Admin

I would think a quality penetrating primer would be great and allow for the tiles to stick. What I saw at the home I went to, I have seen many times. It was almost always on a home that had been left emptied and not temperature controlled. Probably had a lot to do with it.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
RandyD

JD wrote:I would think a quality penetrating primer would be great and allow for the tiles to stick.

JD
It's latex floor primer
It's made for that purpose
Buy Quality.......Cry Only Once!!!!!
Lorne

After kicking this around I think I will just go with some Henry Universal Patch and Skimcoat.

This space is barely 70x55 inches and level for the most part.
All I need is to fill in some chipped out places where they glued the old sheet vinyl down.
I figure why pull the toilet if I don't have to.

A little floor patch and then a floor primer should do.
I've been on this New bathroom shower project for many weeks now and I REALLY need to take a shower. :roll:

Your ideas will come in handy for my future projects.
Thanks all.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.