Fiberglass Tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Gourdlady

I finally got the main bathroom tub converted to a shower but now I need to replace my master bath's garden tub. I would like to replace it with a fiberglass garden tub. Does anyone know if the fiberglass tub is significantly heavier? I have a family friend that said they could help me but I don't know if I should ask for more help.
JD
Site Admin

A fiberglass tub is a lot heavier than an acrylic or ABS tub, but it is still pretty easy to manage with two people. The plastic type tubs are very light.

And just from my perspective, the mobile home tubs and shower bases are thinner and weaker than they used to be. My local supplier has several that he has taken back because of cracks from normal use in the first 30 days. It is so bad that he will no longer stock them.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Gourdlady

Thanks JD.
Yanita

Hi,

Before you purchase make sure that you measure twice...make sure you have enough room to get it through all doors, hallways and around corners.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Gourdlady

Thank you Yanita.

Good reminder.