PB pipe leak images

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JD
Site Admin

I was called out on an emergency plumbing leak and wanted to share what I found with the forum. This is a good example of just one of the problems people have been having with polybutylene plumbing (PB pipe). This crack in the pipe does not look real big, but the water was gushing out in huge quantities. If it was not aimed at the floor joist, it would have shot out 30 feet or more. I also included images of another spot near the leak. While it was not leaking yet, I am sure it would be soon. I am sure this was the factory plumbing. The pipe was just handled improperly and bent to the point of putting a kink in it. That kink weakens the pipe and over time causes the crack.

Here is the leak that happened yet.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi

I had a PB break in a site built home in the 1990's.

The pipe was in the ATTIC. What a royal mess.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
AbbottsManor

I had the same thing happen below the vanity in our master bath, except our kink was much worse than that! Eventually it failed right at the crease and ruined the floor.

Chris