radiant heated floors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

squirt13

I am looking at putting laminate floors in my house instead of the carpet and vinyl that I currently have. When I was at Home Depot looking at the different ones I noticed the under laminate radiant heating options that are out there. Can these be installed in a mobile home?

Also is it better to get the laminate with the pad already attached or the one that comes separate?

Thanks for your input.

Melinda
Greg

The problem that comes to my mind first is the same problem that you would have with any secondary heat source, PIPES. The home is designed to have the pipes warmed by the heat ducts, if the furnace is not running the ducts are not warm.

I heat primarly with a monitor Kero. unit and only run the furnace in sub zero temps. I really do not know if the radiant heat would go through the floor in BOTH directions enough to warm the pipes, that would be a good question for the manufacturer. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
squirt13

I was not planing on replacing the furnace with this heat, I was looking at warm floors in the winter. To have warm floors instead of cold, would cut down on heating because if my feet get cold I am cold.
Greg

You should be fine then. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

What is your radiant heat source?
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

The systems I have looked at are electric heating pads.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Johanna Bruns

Keep us posted on the radiant project. I'm of the "warm toes, warm heart" variety myself!