how much insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

middysmom

we had our mobile home built and it is suppose to have northern insulation and i am trying to find out how much is in there and if we can put more in the ceiling and sides and underneath because our bills are expensive thanks dorothy from tenn
JD
Site Admin

You could probably get a look at your ceiling insulation be removing a bathroom fan, or a recessed light in the ceiling. Another way is by removing a vent on the roof, but if you have a shingle roof, I would not advise that.

If you have 2x6 walls, it is almost certain that you have R19 insulation unless they used a high density fiberglass insulation. Basically with the walls, you can foctor insulation by wall thickness and there would be no more room for additional insulation inside the wall.

2x4 stud = R11 std, R15 High density
2x6 stud = R19 std, R21 high density
12" ceiling insulation = R30 std, R38 high density

For the floor insulation, you can pull back some of the underbelly material to measure it. You will need to repair the underbelly afterwards.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

The HUD label (Usually by the breaker box) may tell you also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
middysmom

would i need to add more please let me know thanks dorothy from tenn
Greg

There can be many factors involved that cause high energy bills. Insulation, or lack of is just one. Door & window leakage is another big possibility.

Many utility companies can provide guides & assistance to help reduce energy use. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

You can also be put on a beat the peak program, just call your local utility company. As Greg said the utility company can send someone out to your home and preform a test of your home to determine where the heat loss/gain is in your home.

Many times heat loss/gain is from our windows. If your home has traditional MH windows then that can be part of the problem. You may need to shade the windows from extreme afternoon sun.

My next question is when was the last time you had your AC unit serviced by a professional and when was the last time you changed the filter for the unit?

Also a programmable thermostat is a great way to help on your energy bills.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!