Facia Caulking - tried everything

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dd716ted

I have tried everything to caulk the roof peak facia on our house.. If I do it in the fall/winter when humidity is high, there is very little open / crack area to caulk..but when the summer comes and humidity drops, the boards separate and I have to caulk again.. and again.. then winter comes and pushes all the caulk out or stresses the boards..The picture shows what I am talking about.. Is there a better way to do this?
Mark
Site Admin

What type of caulk are you using? You need to use a type that can handle stretching. Then again I'm not sure if those types can be painted.

Another idea is to use a highly stretchable caulk, then install a trim piece over the gap, nailing it only on one side of the gap.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
nattydreadlocks

If your fascia board is made out of fibrous material your problem is moisture. Remove the boards and seal the the fibers with a primer/ sealer or latex paint.
dd716ted

The facia is dry and firm... I am going to try Big Stretch caulking and if I have to install a trim on the facia.. what material do you suggest I make it of? I saw a vinyl 3/8" x 8 inch wide wood grained rigid trim (paintable) material at HD. I don't think the vinyl would have any problems with future moisture.. Ideas?
flcruising

It appears you have fiber cement fascia (hardie board). I would suggest using that myself even if not. The stuff holds up extremely well, and where wood and vinyl trim and siding will mildew on my house, the hardiboard never has.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]