glass block window replacement?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Popsicle_toes

I'm going out on a limb, saw a beautiful setup in a house with glass block over the shower surround in the exterior wall. I have a crank window there that doesn't. How safe would it be to replace it with glass block?
Doni
proud owner of doni's dump!
Greg

I don't think it would be much of a safety issue as much as fitting the blocks in with out changing the opening size. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

If I were doing this, I would do what I have done when I have to resize a window opening...

I fit a wood outline around the new window while it is lying on a table. I screw the outline into a frame, at the corners, while the window is in it.

I then remove the window from the outline/frame, install the frame in the wall (removing/adding what additional pieces are needed) trimming back the siding etc, then put the new window into the perfectly sized frame.

you could do a similar prefit with glass blocks, but did you know they have standard size premade glass block windows, you would not be using mortar to set the glass bricks, it is would be a one piece unit that would set in the frame, a little more like putting in a window, except I do not expect that they would have a flange... it would go into a premade framed opening.

folks, please correct my post if I have wrong info on the standard size premade glass block windows, the ones I had someone install were bought 10 years ago.

Brenda (OH)
Popsicle_toes

premade sounds sweet.. my opening in rough estimation is about what was in the bathroom.. got a good look at it last year with the tub surround redo. am having double duty on remake, since i helped my daughter buy a fixer upper.. that will take another loooong post, tho!
Doni
proud owner of doni's dump!