Insulating under the home.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fisherpainting

Hi -
First let me say I've enjoyed reading through most of comments posted here. I purchased a 1977 Bendix doublewide in '06 and have almost completely renovated the home in a "log cabin" style. Anyway, I need some ideas. Last year I installed all new ductwork under my home using 12" insulated flexible tubing. The original metal ductwork was void of any insulation due to someone tearing out most all of the underbelly insulation & covering (kinda looks like thick paper, not the woven type I've seen). My question is: I want to remove all this old insulation and "paper type" material but don't know what to replace it with. Living in Florida, this time of the year is ideal to work under the home so .... any ideas? I was thinking of buying the bulk spray-on-foam and just spray a couple inch layer under all the floor surfaces, but don't know if this will work. Thanx for the thoughts.
Greg

Hi & welcome. let me say first that the conditions that I have to deal with are totally different than your's. Up north you want the insulation UNDER the ducts to allow for heat to radiate into the cavity under the floor to prevent the plumbing from freezing. Now in your case freezing should not be much of an issue. I would still use some form of insulation to shield the ducts more so in your case from heat if you use A/C through the ducts.

I am sure others from the south will have better advise for you. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Seeing that you're a few miles south longitudinally of me in Florida, I think you should follow a similar approach that I've taken. Basically install fiberglass batt insulation between the floor joists and the belly wrap stapled to the bottom of the floor joists
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
fisherpainting

Thanx for the replies. I guess I'll go with Aaron's advise and use batts. One question - would you staple the batt insulation up tight to the underneath of the floor -or- staple to bottom of joists, leaving an area of space between floor plywood and insulation. Of course I'd then follow up up the underbelly material. Thanx again!
flcruising

I did it the latter way, but wished I would have used thicker insulation and filled the whole cavity.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]