roof jack and flue

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

fdavis45

could a bad roof jack and flue cause the pilot to go out when the furnance reaches temp and
stops.everything seems to work fine except for the pilot going out after each cycle.could you help me with this. i have colemen presidential 7956c856 -----------franklin
Robert

Hi,

It's possible, but not likely. The only way to find the culprit is to have the system and cycle tested by an hvac tech.

Otherwise, you'll just be shooting in the dark and wasting time and money.

Make sure pilot burner, orifice and tubing is clear and clean. Check roof-jack for damage, separation of pipes, etc. .

Replace the thermocouple.

IF still not resolved, call a hvac tech.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
fdavis45

i had a hvac tech come and check the furnance. he replace the t-stat. also he installed a new t-couple. he check for chamber problems by lighting the pilot and turning on fan only ----for fluttering pilot (no fluttering).he turn on furnance and it cycled only once and the pilot went out.he wants to call in some one else to test the system .my question is i do have a worn out crown cap over my roof jack and flue and if that is worn the rest is worn out . i just want to know if this could be the problem without calling a second hvac tech.i mean like the first tech was expensive.and the second will be even more expensive---------------franklin
Robert

Hi,

IF the roof-jack was/is the problem, then the burner would not be igniting and/or burning right.

Sounds like all is ok until burner goes out.

There is still a possibility there with being the problem, just cannot give difinitive answer without being there.

If it is in the condition you say, it needs replacing anyway, so you could do that and see what happens.

Let me know if you want/need ordering info on a roof-jack.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
fdavis45

i am sorry i just got back from vacation ,is the roof jack hard to remove ? it seems to be very rusty and brittle .i know that i can do it -----i just need some instructions in disattacking the base of the jack
Robert

Hi,

Not to hard, just find all the screws, scrape away caulking/sealant and carefully remove.

If brittle, may fall apart in the process.

Thanks,
Robert