Ignition failure

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Pattipooh

We have a 13 years old Colman DGAT056BDD furnace that was converted from natural gas to propane 5 years ago and we are getting an ignition failure code. We had water in the unit two years ago due to roof damage during a storm. This has been repaired. Because of water getting to the circuit board, we had to replace it and have replaced the circuit board 4 times since then. It seems to go out every spring when we turn on the air and again in winter when we turn on the heat. I just replaced the circuit board a couple of weeks ago and this morning I am getting one flash indicating ignition failure. The board goes through the contacts and the hot surface ignitor glows but the burner doesn't kick on at all. I have cleaned the flame sensor. It will go throught 3 series of trying to kick on to no avail. This is getting horribly frustrating and expensive. Is it the flame sensor or something else?
Robert

Hi,

Which board did you replace it with ?

Would need to test circuit to find what is wrong or going on.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Pattipooh

Thank you for your response. The board that I replaced the old one with was 7990-320P . I ordered this from your company on 11/06/09.

My husband is wondering if it is the gas valve. It has never been replaced. He has tapped on it but it doesn't help.

How do I test the circuit?

Patti
Robert

Hi Patti,

Trace/follow the two gas valve wires back to the board. Disconnect the molex connector plug and see where the board half of plug corresponds to the gas valve wires.

Then, set t-stat to call for heat, heat-auto-85*.

Should get 24VAC across W and C on the board immediately. Then after about 30/45 seconds, should get 24VAC across the two corresponding holes for the gas valve wires.

Ignition failure is usually due to bad ignitor, flame sensor or gas valve.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Pattipooh

Hi Robert,
We replaced the gas valve on our unit and now it's working like new. Thanks for your help. Merry Christmas! Oh, and by the way...I am Humbly Grateful!

Patti T.
Robert

Hi Patti,

That's great. You're very welcome, happy to help. I had just noticed a mistype in my reply to you last and changed it. Should have said 24VAC at the molex connector going to gas valve, NOT 120vac.

Merry Christmas one and all !!

Take care and best wishes,
Robert