Colmen blower problem 7956-856

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

killsign65

My furnace is a Coleman 7956-856 gas furnace and I just started it yesterday and it worked fine but now the pilot light is on but the blower wont kick on. When I felt the front metal casing of the blower it was a little warm to the touch and the motor itself felt a little to warm so I let it cool down thinking it might come back on but it did not. So i guess my question is would it be the blower motor that is bad or maybe the thermo what ever? Any help would be much appreciated.

Update. It cooled down even more and I tried it again and it worked for a few minutes then shut it self off again. I tried to spin the blade and make it work but it spins and wont kick on. I'm thinking its a shot motor maybe? Seems like it isn't moving the heat so it over heats?
Last edited by killsign65 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
killsign65

It got super cold last night so i smacked the blower motor a few times and took a stick and spun the blade like a maniac and then turned the T-stat to 70 and it worked until it shut off. So im pretty sure it is the motor but is there another reason it would act like this?
Robert

Hi,

IF the motor is getting the 120VAC to it, then it is either the motor is bad or the run capacitor or both.

Normally, if it's the run cap, just a shove of the blower wheel should get it going.

So, from what you stated, more likely to be a bad motor.

Can give ordering info if needed.

Will need to know if you have central heat only or heat and a/c.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
killsign65

It is heat only no A/C. I have a second motor I got from a buddy for back up because the the motor is now grinding when it works at all. Thank you for your time and quick response and have a very merry Xmas and a happy new year.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Make sure that motor is compatible with the smaller mobile home duct systems.

You can't use just any motor in a mobile home.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours as well !!

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
homebuff

:) Just a friendly tip for all you poster's with motor problem's.
I found with my motor which went out last year when I took it apart the rear bushing had worn sideways causing the shaft (armature) to bind & when you try to spin the cage manually & it starts up & runs then it's the motor at fault. Will make a loud growling or moaning sound & slow to start by itself.
It's very annoying & loud.
Like Robert said the caps can go out also.
If you smell something burning inside the unit like an electrcal smell, then the windings & armature inside are fried.
Alway's replace both the motor & cap.
Bought mine here & still running strong.
Affordable prices.
Thank's Robert :wink:
David
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Robert

If you spin wheel and it starts and runs for the cycle, usually the run cap is the problem.

Thanks,
Robert