(dead)rat in the box

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

junkmale

Troubleshooting blower malfunction(hot air only blowing in manual mode) in Coleman3500 electric furnace, I discovered a dead mouse with his head buried(lol)between relay terminals and metal case of wiring compartment, and feet near live terminal board.Heat elements seem to get hot, blower doesn't come on in auto mode.Only see 1 relay w/1no, and 1 nc contact, is there a sequencing relay as well,and if so, where? I see no black scorch marks any where, just some mouse fur stuck to side of compartment.Have to take cover off blower to check fuses, will do that in the morning, and patch mouse hole from under house.Any ideas would be helpful.I have 25 yrs. as electrician/handyman, only a little hvac,but have meter,neon, feel comfortable w/220-240vac. I'm new here, is this thing on? Robert? Mark?
Robert

HI,

Yep, it's on, just slower on w/e's. Sequencers should be below or beside the blower relay.

The blower relay is probably shorted out. The sequencer controls the blower in heat-auto mode, but it stills travels through the blower relay NC contacts for heat mode.

For heat-on continuous mode, the blower relay controls the blower through the NO contacts and the two coil contacts.

Dead fried mice, what a way to get in mood for a repair job. I'd like a dollar for each of those suckers I've scraped out of units.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?