Coleman Presidential II furnace - rust and musty odor

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

eej03

I own a manufactured home that was built in 1980 and has a (presumably original) Coleman Presidential II furnace. In cleaning my floor vents, I spotted a significant amount of rust under the furnace (see attached photos) and a musty odor in the vents. I have had issues with water in the floor vents near the furnace before and had to have the drain line fixed and suspect the water came from the A-coil.

I plan to take a look at the A-coil this weekend and post pictures. Is the rust a cause for concern?

Are musty odors typically just permeating from the dirt crawl space below? Is the best way to address the odor with crawl space encapsulation?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert

Hi,

The rust should not be a problem unless it increases. If you have openings to underneath, then you will smell the mustiness from below.

Be sure underbelly is sealed and ducts are sealed and lay a 6 mil plastic moisture barrier on the ground under the home.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?