I have a leak on my roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

homebuff

Hey Robert! I have a v-style roof & some of the overlap sheathing is sticking up from all the storms we've been having. I did a temporary fix by installing some of that silver tape over the seams till i can afford the white stuff you just mop on. Its about $50-$60 for a 5 gal bucket. at my hardware store. Is there something i need to do to prep it before i apply that stuff? I still have a leak at the end of the roof where i built my lg. frt. covered porch.(deck). it leaks right on the porch between the edge of the house & porch at the roof area. I put some thin sheets of tin across the top to try to stop it but it still seeps through somewhere. the roof has a good angle to it so the water can run off. Help would be greatful. Thanks David!
homebuff

No suggestion anyone on how to repair the open spots where the metal overlaps going verticle toward the top & center of the roof. They look like they are bent over to join w/ the other ones. I'll try to get some pics of it.
Greg

Kool coat also has a sealer, It is thicker than the regular roof coat, for the seams and any problem areas. a good neoprene caulk may help also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Hi David,

I might be able to make a suggestion for your roof. But I am still not clear as to what the problem actually is. What type roof is it? It sounds like you have a flashing problem at your porch roof. Is there a problem somewhere else too? What is the sheathing that is sticking up? A picture would help.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
homebuff

:) I'll get some pics this weekend & maybe it will help. The sheathing is very thin & i have covered the ends of it w/ tar roof coating. Don't like that stuff cause its so messy. :) Thanks Greg for that important info. The roof is a v-style. I think the product Greg mentioned is the best to use. The thicker the better & will insulate better. I get up on the roof at times but am very careful to walk on the rafters instead of on the center portions between the rafters. Have to clean out the gutter from all the leaves & the other debris. If i could afford it Iwould buy the DYS metal sheat kit & redo the whole roof. :)
homebuff

I'm still working on getting some pics. The roof still leaks some after installing the tape. The inside ceiling area where it leks at is starting to show some minor damage but not that bad yet.. I had some pics on here on one of my old post a lomg while back before your site was modified to the new look. Its in the old section. had some pics there where i had a question about my new frt.porch deck leaking at the edge of the house. Was told the pitch was all wrong w/ not enough pitch. Built it just below the top of the roof & not even w/the roof. I'll try the roof coating you mentioned.(Cool coat)., On the seams & joints.