Abandoning ship! Water off?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

GraceNC

NC is under a winter advisory, again but this time since it will be only 5 degrees at night soon...we are going to abandon ship. We have no heating system in place (still haven't found the type I want-but more on that later this spring)

We've been using those oil filled radiator electric heaters and when it gets 20 or below outside they can't keep up.

Should I turn the water off at the street and then drain the water lines? Would this help prevent water pipe freezing OR should I just leave each faucet dripping? Do I turn off the water to the toilets and drain the holding tanks?

I wrapped the pipes this fall and haven't had any freezing of water lines...first winter ever w/o freezing water lines...so it has worked. But at 5 degrees?

Thanks for your input.

This is a 700 sq ft single wide in the middle of renovations and there is no skirting on 1/2 the back side- all others are at ground level w/ cinderblock foundation going into the ground. There is no underbelly insulation or membrane.
Greg

You are between a rock and a hard spot. You can drain the lines, drain the hot water tank and put some RV antifreeze in the toilets. I do not recommend leaving the water dripping since you may move the freeze up to the sewer lines, the water may freeze in there and split that pipe. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
GraceNC

Greg, thank you. I was wondering about the septic system- but since 1967- thru the blizzard of '88, and the Artic Blast of 2010....we've never had a problem. But I think my drains don't go thru the septic...I know, I know the violations- but we are in the middle of the county surrounded by farm land and woods/forests and there is a pipe coming out that water comes out of.

My concern is the brand new water piping...from the street, under the ground, under the trailer, to the faucets and washer....it's new white and cream colored plastic pipes- pvcp? I overkilled on pipewrap but like I said, this has been the first winter without any frozen pipes.

Since my drains don't lead to the septic system- should I leave them dripping? (the piping is underground)

But my guess for the toilets is to drain them- someone said just drain the tank as the bowl the ice can expand better- is this true?
Greg

Personally I would get the system shut down & drained rather than risk freezeups and burst pipes. I would also drain the toilet tanks and add some RV antifreeze to the bowl. I have seen toilets freeze & split. I would rather be safe than sorry. Greg
Brenda (OH)

some quick steps to help winterize....

a wet vac can get almost every bit of water out of the toilet tank, and a lot from the bowl. that way the rv antifreeze is less diluted (stronger) when you put it in the bowl

a 1/2 to cup of the antifreeze in every drain helps protect the drain traps

You can get a lot of water out of the water line by attaching the air compressor to the washer line by an adaptor (they sell them in the parts section, take a peek) and blowing out the water lines and the water heater. the drain out point for my homes was an outside faucet.

blowing the water lines out has given me really good results, but I was working with pex lines most of the time...

hope that helps.... I have two homes winterized right now.... and I did this same procedure last year on two homes with good results.

BRENDA (oh)
GraceNC

It was going to be in the single digits so I broke and a day before payday-

I drained the toilet tanks but not bowls and cut off the water to the toilets
turned on the cold water to all faucets to just more than drip...to small stream

All was well when I returned home
Greg

Go down to the lottery and play some numbers, Luck is on your side!!! Greg