Windows- replacement/storm windows?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

GraceNC

This Old House did some articles that suggest that good storm windows can be just as good or better than replacement windows.

Anyone have any opinion? I'd like to leave my windows as I've already cased my windows on the interior and would just love to put up storm on the exterior to give energy efficiency.
Greg

In your case, they may be fine. In COLD areas, the traditional "Trailer" windows just don't cut it. I can honestly say that I have never seen one that does not leak air and many times water.Many people here have spent lots of time and money to try to get them to seal with very poor results. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I agree with Greg here. If we are talking about mobile home aluminum frame windows, they will be sub-par as windows go. This Old House or even a newer stick-built home will probably have better quality windows. That being said, I cannot see a situation where aluminum mobile home windows and an added storm window can be better than properly installed dual pane vinyl windows. Could be wrong though.

As far as your existing windows already being "cased", replacement flush fin windows are installed from the exterior of the home, fitting the existing finished opening. There would be no change to the interior of the wall unless this is an older (mid 1970's an earlier) mobile home with 2x2 framing. If the openings are square, you can reduce the amount of "play" or wiggle room when ordering your vinyl windows. I check the finished openings with a framing square when the window is large enough. If they are very square, I will order the new windows with 1/4" side to side play and 1/8" vertical play. This gap can be filled with foam and finished with caulking.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.