Coleman 3300 series

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

debks

Hello, the first part of Janurary my heat pump would only heat my house to 64 dg. My repair man said the defrost unit had gone out and replaced it about a week later. After he installed it the heater would not turn off, we had to turn off the circuit breaker to shut it down. They came out the next day and changed some wiring around. It is now keeping the temp where it should be, but the outside unit will not defrost.They came out again last friday and got the ice off and by sunday it was covered again. He called me yesterday and said that it was some circuit panel that has gone out that is no longer available. (It was installed in 1982)

He gave me a quote of $5900 for a 3.5 ton 13 seer and said he would deduct the price of the defrost unit and not charge me labor for the last 2 times they have been here since install since installing it.

My question is are some parts no longer available for units installed this long ago. And is this a reasonable price for a new unit. We live in SE Kansas if that matters at all.

I did have another company come out today to give me a quote which I should have within a day or 2. And I plan on have at least 2 more done.

Thank you,
Deb
Robert

Hi Deb,

What is the heat pump condenser model number ? Yes, a lot of parts are obsolete, but parts can be made to work with it and some can't.

$5900 is high for just a 13 seer heat pump condenser in my opinion.

Also, you should not be charged anyway since it did not resolve it and did not work.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
debks

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure where to find the model number. The number on the orig. receipt is 3243D901 for the heat pump unit. We have only lived here for 2yrs, bought it from the bank, but the orig. owner left all the paper work.

There was/is now way I am going to pay them for the service calls after the defrost unit was put in anyways. I would even like to get money back for the part since that was not the problem if I don't go through them.

He told me that whomever he spoke to said the only other thing to do was to gut the whole thing and completly rewire it. But he couldn't give me a quote since he has never done that before and didn't know how long it would take.

Thank you again,
Deb
Robert

Hi Deb,

Can you give me the part number of the defrost board he removed and the new one he installed ?

The 3243D901 is your correct model number for the heat pump.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?