Coleman Downdraft

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

musicdawg

The glow plug lights the burner, it fires up strong for about 6 seconds or so, then the right side flame dances like wind is trying to blow it out, and after about 15 seconds, the right side fire is about out. Then the unit shuts down because there's not enough fire (I assume). I had the energy company come out, they looked for 2 minutes and declared it is either a bird nest in the chimney or a cracked heat exchanger. I went to the roof and checked the chimney, it's clear all the way down, and I even pulled out the burner and cleaned it out. It's still doing it :(
Is there any other thing I can try, or is the only thing left the heat exchanger? What is a Heat Exchanger? :|
Robert

Hi,

A cracked heat exchanger will allow carbon monoxide into the home. Should get a reputable hvac company out to thoroughly inspect the heat exchanger.

Did you have a flame sensor near the burner ?

If so, clean the rod with steel wool and inspect the shroud for cracks.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?