From a newbie: about re-leveling, please help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mswendie

I have a Fleetwood 98 double wide, in Southern California, that sinks right in the middle, where both sides of trailer meet. I start seeing lines, cracks on the ceiling, along the edges of walls. I called 2 companies so far: one said they will install 4 coach clamps along the marriage line (60" gap, "I" beam), including a complete re-level/tune up, adjust all piers/jacks/pads, and patch moisture barrier holes for $1860. Another company said they will install 4-22" jacks and 4 marriage clamps (right in the middle where it sinks) for $800. This is my first time doing it, PLEASE HELP..... What do you think? Thank you!
Greg

Hi & welcome. It sounds to me like both will solve the problem, it sounds to me like you should do some research into the quality of work done by the 2 companies. If the first company is installing a new I beam at the marriage line that would help account for the price difference. Is the second company going to do a total relevel? Make sure who ever does the uses a water level, it is the ONLY way to insure an accurate job. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Brenda (OH)

I think you need to look at the other recent post Greg? did on releveling, where he talked about only raising or lowering the home so much at a time, then doing a second round of it.

I have found with most contractors that if you want the companies to do something "extra" like that, that entails a second trip out to the home, they might have extra charges... better read up enough about the process to know what is a "standard" job vs what they might consider a "premium" job that is extra work, but gets you a better result long term...

maybe get the estimates in writing, with a list of all the procedures, materials etc they expect to use, and post it here?

does releveling affect the tiedowns? see, now I am out to learn something new today! lol

Brenda (OH)