Coleman Presidential II Help

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Chris188

Hi new to he forum. I have a Coleman Presidential II gas furnace model# 7655-856. I havent used my furnace in about a year because i a bought a Rinnai heater, but that ended up not bein as effecient as i assumed it would be. So i was going to fire up my Coleman furnace and use that for the rest of this winter. A few weeks ago I cleaned up the furnace, I vacuumed the motor (which had dust piled inside of it) and hosed off the blower wheel and assembly. I put it all back together and bought some door filters and started using it again last night. Well at about 3:00AM it started making a screaching noise like the blower was off balance and maybe hitting the side of the blower assembly. I looked and it was not rubbing anywhere nor did it seem off balanced or shaking, it seems the noise is comming from the blower wheel or the motor though. When i spin the blower wheel by hand it does about one revolution then stops firmly as if the motor is tight or something. So my question is does anyone know what the problem is? Do i need to oil the motor or replace it or maybe some problem with the way i put it back together maybe?
thanks for any help
Chris188

UPDATE
This morning i went to turn the furnace on to see if it still made the whining/screaching/humming noise from 3:00am this morning. When the fan went to kick on it didnt start spinning, but i heard the motor on and making noise. I pulled the doors off and yep the blower wheel was not spinning but the motor was making noise like it was trying to spin but was too tight or maybe seized up. So i gave the blower wheel a turn by hand and it slowly started to spin then it eventually got up to normal speed, but with the same noise off and on.
Do i need a new motor?
Robert

Hi,

Most likely going to need a new motor and run capacitor. Look at the motor and see if it has any oil ports .

IF it has oil port(s), place 4 to 6 drops of 20 weight oil in each oil port hole.

Allow it to sit awhile, then try to start it.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Chris188

There are no oil ports but i did let some oil run down the shaft and tried it one more time, it didnt even have enough juice to spin the blower wheel at all. I just thought it was weird that it worked perfect last time i used it but oh well. I pulled it out to get numbers off it and found a replacement motor on this site, i will be ordering it next week.
Robert

Hi,

You will need to replace the run capacitor as well with a motor replacement.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Chris188

Robert wrote:Hi,

You will need to replace the run capacitor as well with a motor replacement.

Thanks,
Robert
My current motor is a 7656-311 and the replacement is a 7966-311P, in the description it says no run capacitor required. Do i still need a run capacitor? If so which one do i need to get?

Thanks for all your help
Robert

No, as long as it is a motor without a run cap. Only needed when the motor requires a run cap. In those cases, you replace the run cap anytime you replace the motor.

Thanks,
Robert