site preperation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mr157ifhz

Hello, new to the forum. Have purchased a new 14x44 mobile home. Intend it to be on site 2~5yrs, maybe more. Need to know what the best way to prepare the site. I am in southern Ontario, Canada. The area we have in mind has not been disturbed in many years, is level, drains well and is stable. I have had much advice - Setting the concrete blocks on patio stones, directly on the ground; Skimming off the topsoil and putting in 4~8" of gravel; footing tubes filled with concrete; floating cement pad, etc.
A cement pad is too costly, and would like to avoid using footing tubes.
We see frost from December through March, so the potential is there for things to heave. I understand insulated skirting can help with this.
Any ideas or advice as to what works and what does'nt? Thanks,
-Matt
Greg

Hi & welcome. First, check the local codes. They may tell you how they want it done. If there is no code I would use an auger and pour a pier no less than 48" deep, At least a 12" sono tube if not 24". You can then use blocks on top of the piers and know that heave will not be a problem. A concrete pad makes it nice to do any work under your home plus it will be drier.

Don't forget to locate your underground utility lines & pipes before you set the home, it makes it much easier to dig when the home is not in the way. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Groo

The freebie I just picked up was stacked blocks on bricks; on level ground with good drainage. It had shifted pretty severly and there was a genuine fear of being crushed as I worked to get the wheels on it. but that was over several years. If you go that route, at least inspect it faily often. If I were you, I'd probably do the scrape and gravel. Insulated skirts will keep your heating bills down and limit frost surge, especially with a layer of gravel.

FWIW, 48" is way below your frost line there.

could you possibly reuse a concrete pad after moving the mobile home?
Greg S

My preference would be to dig down about 12" with a slope to the outside. Around the outside bury rigid foam straight down about 2 ft. Place Big O all the way around the inside perimeter with a place to drain to. Add gravel, compact, cover with plastic then use proper pier slabs, not patio stones, with solid blocks on top. Get it up at least 3' to make access underneath easier.

Insulate the skirt to the maximum and by doing so along with the rigid foam in the ground it is unlikely the ground under the home will ever freeze eliminating concerns of frost heave.

Some insulate the skirt and remove the insulation from under the floor to insure adequate heat as in a crawl space in a regular home, or direct one heating registered under the home to keep it warm and reduce moisture. The key is insulating the perimeter above and below ground.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

All good ideas, but if the code says "Thou shall pour a concrete pad" than the only way the home will get approval is with a pad. It is far easier to ask questions first and work with the codes officer from the start. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mr157ifhz

Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. Have been to a few parks in the area, most just take the top soil off and put down gravel. A cement pad is out due to cost consideration.
thanks again,
-Matt