big lump in kitchen big in spring low almost gone in winter

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cpurkey

I have just put up guttering to keep water away from my mobile home. My home faces south and back faces north. It is worse in rainy season and least when cold, The beam that runs north and south is arched. I have some really nice jacks that I can use but since the floor moves that might not be a great idea till I get the movement stopped. The house sits on a cap rock of sandrock near an old old drilling site (gone) but the point is that if I dig one foot down I hit rock. It is on columns and tied down. The problem is only in the kitchen. The home is on a slope, east end is very close to ground and west end is 4 feet high. The lump is formed by a beam.

I have looked below and dont see much shifting. Whaddaya think pros? Thanks, Calvin :?
Greg

Hi & welcome. The first thing that I would do is a relevel job, WITH A WATER LEVEL. After that see how it is. The floor may drop into place after everything is level.
There are times if the frame is bent too far that it will not totally level out, at that point you get it as good as you can. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Groo

When you say the lump is formed by a beam, do you meen a wooden joist or the I beams that make up th frame?

I'm guessing you are talking about a wooden transvers floor joist. wood will move when humidity and temperature changes, my guess is that there is a big knot towards on of the edges of the joist that cause it to expand un-uniformly. you could remove and replace the problem joist, or cut out the problem section and sister in another one, or just live with it.

jacking releveling would not effect a goofy joist in itself, but it may have some effect on your problem because it will change how the weight is carried by the structural elements.