Gabled Roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sherry

Hey Everyone,
Has anyone ever built a porch from a gabled roof line. We would like to do this on the front of our home. ( If we can) I've seen it done with other double wides and I really like the front porch look.
Thanks,
Sherry
Harry

Hi

My neighbor put a gabled roof and porch on his new DW.

He is a roofer from WV.

I call it a major job.

Around here you are suppose to pull a permit.

You are right ... they look good.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

If you were looking to put an aluminum awning across the gable area, they can be attached to the gable fascia board going with the pitch of the roof up to about a 3/12 pitch, or they can be installed straight across, like at the same level as the eaves.

Both methods have advantages. Going with the gable roof line, you would need to start pans at the peak and spread the pan at the hanger to pick up the extra distance caused by the slope. This is thinking that the gutter end of the awning is straight/level. On a 3/12 pitch roof, you would be needing to pick up about 4" of spread distance. You can get the amount of spread per pan by dividing the total spread amount by the number of pans on that side. You can get the exact amount of spread distance using the Pythagorean Theorem. Me, I go with about 4". :) Installing the awning this way makes it easy to access the flashing from the roof and also makes painting the siding a lot easier. On many mobile/manufactured homes, it is necessary to reinforce the framing behind the fascia board for a secure installation.

If the awning is installed level/straight at the hanger, painting the siding above the awning is a real pain, especially if there is an overhang. The actual installation of the awning is a lot easier this way, but there can be leaks at the flashing siding joint after a few years. If the flashing is just screwed to the siding, you will be depending on sealants to keep water from getting behind the flashing. You can cut the siding at the flashing to install a Z-bar to stick the flashing under. This could eliminate the problem, but is a more invasive install.

I hope this makes sense.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
sherry

Thanks for the replies. Sorry It's taken me so long to respond back. I'm having major computer problems at the moment.
Muy husband worked in the roofing business many years ago so he is familiar with roofing a stick home. We were just unsure if anything different needed to be considered with our home now.
Thanks again!
Sherry