Bigger air unit

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Gourdlady

Wondered if you guys could weigh in on this. I have a double wide 50x24 mobile home and we had a front room added on that measures around 12x15. We need to get air and heat out there. I had to call a repairman the other day as my air unit went down and was questioning him about whether my 3 ton unit would be able to handle the extra room. He suggested upgrading to a 3.5 ton unit. I know mobile home duct work runs a bit different than traditional built homes so I am wondering if just going up a half ton is going to suffice and also if my mobile home wiring will handle this increase. My home is a 1990 Fleetwood. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Robert

Hi,

Need to do a Manual J Load Calculation to know what size is truly needed.

Go to hvac-talk.com , then click on HVAC Calc at top for a good homeowner version.

Wiring and duct should be fine with an upgrade.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Gourdlady

Thank you Robert. I'll check into what you have shared.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Wanted to add that your furnace should have info on it in data sticker or nameplate or on front of blower housing stating what size a/c the furnace and duct can handle.

Most are 4 tons, so should be ok.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Gourdlady

Okay, I'll check that. I have the paper work on the furnace and air unit too, so I'll look at those too. The repair guy said he thought a 3.5 ton would work but I am thinking if my wiring and all can handle it maybe a 4 ton is better. The 3 ton that we have does struggle in the heat of the day. I have to pull the shades down to help and we use ceiling fans too.
Robert

Do the Manual J Load calculation to know for sure what size is needed.

Thanks,
Robert