My well is leaking

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

wunjott2be

Hi all .A week before 4th of July the hose that comes from underground from the well starting a stream of water.The black hose holds the pipe and the electric cord. It had just started and I know this because I have been watering my garden for the last 3 weeks and I have to get a little under there to turn the outside hose on.I have no skirting so I can see everything under there.Any way it got a little worse every day for 3 days I called the Smith well diggers and they came out the next morning.I showed them what I was talking about.Man said turn off circuit breaker and he then commented to the other "Well that stopped it" So they started digging around the piece that sticks out and there was a lot of water.The barrel type thing that held the motor? was in water and one of the men tried twice to touch some kind of wiring to see if they were attached -I think that what he saying to the other- but stopped because the water was to cold.Said I needed aFrench drain.He pointed out I had a lot of greenery on that side of the the driveway.Well I was so stunned by the French drain thing that I admit I didn't ask any questions.I called back and told them what the question of the holiday was---Why did the water stop running when the circuit was off.Doesn't that mean it is probably a mechanical problem.no real answer except they still need the excavaters out to dig the water out.The greenery he was talking about is becuse I have not cut it for 3 years -Really -The parts that I did weed eat were dying like everything else in Capon Springs WV.They were the company that put it in .The presssure in the house was same as always. I wouldn't even have known if I didnt have to water garden. Please help me ask the right questions.Oh the men did say I could use the water just use and then turn off again -I did it then then the water comes up . Thank you all so much Sue
Greg

Sue, Hi & welcome. It sounds to me like the main line from the well to the home is leaking. That would be why when the well pump is shut off the leak stops. I would replace as much of the line as possible, there may have been a rock that worked it's way through it. Make sure the new line is installed & buried correctly I like to put sand in the trench first, put the line in and cover it with more sand to protect it from rocks.

I am at a loss as to what a French drain is for. It's a good thing I wasn't there, I would have said "Ya, the water WILL be cold, deal with it, it's part of the job !!! Guess what, when I have to go out and help on a sewer call for the park, it smells, but again Part of the job." Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Groo

sounds like they want to justdivert the water instead of fixing the pronlem.

between that and the chilly water griping, I'd call someone else.
wunjott2be

Thank you all so much.They come out on Tues.It's a little scary but I'm showing them the posts do either of you mind Thanks Sue
Greg

I don't have a problem. I speak what's on my mind, I don't sugar coat anything. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."